Smart people will keep this secret and make long life available to only a few. Otherwise, even with the current birth rate, the population of the planet will increase tenfold, and the smart understand what the consequences are.
Nobody and nothing can come up with, because it is impossible to come up with what has already happened. People have already lived for so many years when the Lord created the earth and man- Let's turn to the genealogy of the first man on earth, Adam. In the Old Testament it is written in black and white: “all the days of Adam's life were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died. ”
Adam's son Seth lived for 912 years. The grandson of Enos - 905. The great-grandson of Cainan - 910. The great-great-grandson of Malaleil - 895. The great-great-grandson of Jared - 962. The next descendant of Enoch - 365. Methuselah - 969! The record holder-long-liver of the planet. No wonder there is an expression of the mafusailov century. Lamech - 777. Noah - 950.
But then people were mired in sin and the Lord shortened the years of their lives - Even before the flood, angry at people who sinned with the sons of God, the Lord said: “It is not forever for My Spirit to be neglected by men; because they are flesh; let their days be one hundred and twenty years. " This is where, dear readers, all the talk of scientists that a person should live 120 years. From the Bible.
And further: In the book of the Wisdom of Solomon we read:
Do not hasten death by the errors of your life and do not attract destruction to you by the works of your hands (Wis. 1, 12).
Righteousness is immortal, and unrighteousness causes death: the wicked attracted her with both hands and words, considered her a friend and wore out, and entered into an alliance with her, for they are worthy to be her lot (Wis. 1, 15-16).
The Bible says about the influence on the duration of life: Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days on earth may be prolonged (Ex. 20, 12). At the very beginning, man did not honor the Father. And as a result - a person became mortal.
so do not sin by assigning the Glory of God to smart people, because even their mind and wisdom is the merit of the Lord.
this is an unattainable fantasy, in fact, a person as a person is a brain, you can replace teeth, arms, legs, heart)), and the brain cannot be replaced, if the physical flowering is a little more than 20, and the biological standard fitness of the body is about less than 40 years, then the rest of the time it is just a disease maintaining tone with the help of medicine a continuous and useless fight against brain destruction, your proposal to suffer from dementia for several hundred years is an unbearable ordeal, again the volume of information is increasing at a gigantic pace, it is already clear that most of the population is incapable of natural learning sciences at the level of higher education, human civilization) caricaturely repeats the experiment with mice in a confined space with guaranteed food delivery). a person is incapable of being reasonable and at any opportunity the brain will choose not development, but consumption, but in our system, resources are also limited, so there is simply no point in fighting for an increase in life expectancy
From a medical point of view, with these technologies that we have, this is impossible, but all because the human cellular apparatus is not eternal, even assuming that there will be some kind of cryo capsule, it seems unlikely. Well, in theory, assuming that this is possible, then many problems may arise with regards to the demographic position of the renewal of humanity. Overpopulation will occur in some countries and will have to be addressed. I can assume that even if we find some way to a long life, then evolution with the help of the same viruses will control our population, if we do not go into the details of the evolutionary development of the world.
If from the opposite, then conditions are very wisely created where the life expectancy of generations is about 45 years. At this stage of human development, this is optimal. Judging by the answers, any other alignment in the direction of increasing life expectancy without taking into account the opinion of the Creator of life, leads to catastrophic consequences. And I also agree with this, with one proviso that people will not come up with any method to prolong life at all.
Although I am convinced that people will live forever in the future. But here, as with unmanned vehicles - it's not about technology, but about legal support. You cannot do without a radical restructuring of the human governance system. The current world political system will not be able to exercise proper governance for eternally living people, since it is extremely imperfect and is only suitable for maintaining relative order, and even then with difficulty.
1) Most likely it will be expensive. Very expensive and incredibly difficult, at least for the first few decades. During this period, the development will be experimental, no one knows the side effects, and only rich people in extreme old age who agree to go on an adventure, and even then not all, will decide on it.
During this trial period, in addition to solving problems with telomere contraction during cell division, they will have to transplant younger organs grown in the laboratory, repair their nervous system, make sure that there are no problems with the brain, and adapt.
2) The shareholders of the medical conglomerate involved in the development, as well as all contractors and subcontractors, will receive instant operating profit, the shares of all public joint stock companies that are among those who made this discovery will fly to the skies in a short space of time time even faster than IT-companies and Elon's brainchildren are becoming more expensive now. Perhaps a couple of dozen times in two years.
Various monetary and restrictive measures will be taken to prevent a bubble when these securities are drained, since there is no real sales in the corresponding volume, everything is on expectations.
3) By the end of this trial period, the rest of the rich old people who were 50-60 years old at the time of opening will begin to connect. Well, in general, younger people, too, will begin to deal with the problems of the formation of cancerous tumors and the introduction of implants into the brain (Maybe the problem of senile marasmus will be rethought, and by the age of 150, everyone who is not associated with hard intellectual work will begin to show primary symptoms).
3) Gradually, the cost will begin to decline, profit from real sales will go, following the adventurers, immortality will be bought by simply the rich, not the most repulsed forbes from the list, then the middle class, and then the middle class (This can stretch a couple of decades from above).
4) There will be no restrictive measures. Explosive population growth too, by the time the "Medicine of Immortality" becomes massively available in 50-60 years. If we take from the present moment - then this is the end of the 21st century. The average age of the population of developed countries (including the Russian Federation) will reach 55-60 years, the birth rate will fall, the first waves of migrants (XX century) will be in the same group, new waves are also partially assimilated and in their second generation (2050s) too the birth rate will sharply go down. Considering that people will know about immortality, they can generally abandon children in advance, because of which the birth rate will collapse to the level of the plinth, accelerating the natural decline (Even taking into account the increased life expectancy).
For example, the Russian Federation, last year we had 1.5 million children. The death rate was 1.8 million. By the end of the century, the population is projected at 125-128 million. At the same time, the birth rate can fall to 700-800 thousand per year. Now the population of the country is 146 million people. As a result, let's say in 2090 we have 130 million people. 800 thousand children are born every year.
There is enough food in developed countries for everyone, space too, though real estate will start to rise sharply in price (And not only it, but in general all areas and land ), but there will be plenty of time for a thorough study of the problem. Contraception already allows you to control fertility, no one will regulate the spread of biological immortality.
As a result, the growth will not be somehow threatening. Plus, these certificates can be canceled for migrants to other planets. Of course, for Mars, so that later a person can return to earth, the most complex genetic modification, cybernetics, bionics, intrauterine intervention (Low gravity) will be needed, but still an option.
5) In the third world countries, the birth rate will also decline by that time due to an increase in the standard of living, albeit not so significantly, but the current beggars in 2080-2090 will reach the standard of living of at least the current CIS countries, and population growth will be approximately at the same level as in the late USSR or the USA in the 60s and 70s.
In the second quarter of the 22nd century, if anything, it will go to zero, onthe border of natural loss. Then, without biological immortality, the maximum population of the earth will be reached (12-13 billion people), after which it will decline and stabilize at some point.
But the tension will be wild, on the one hand, developed countries will not be afraid that in the 2130s they will have to face the fact that there is nowhere to take the population at all, even migrants have run out, but the third world countries will be terribly overpopulated.
Only these comfortable conditions will not be compared with the current countries the first and second worlds (rich and middle-income), who by the beginning of the next century will get even more rich.
So, that's it, at this moment I became too lazy to write, you understand the meaning)
An interesting question, you can describe many aspects that will be affected by an increase in human life expectancy.
1) there will not be a sharp increase in the population, since in developed countries, due to low birth rates, the population has already stopped growing (and for developing countries such technology may be too expensive for mass use). To replace mortality, these countries invite migrants to their place. If life expectancy is dramatically increased, mortality will fall sharply, migrants will not be needed, governments will become more nationally oriented.
2) reassessment of risks. If the onset of aging is delayed 10 times, then the risk of dying from an accident during this period will also increase 10 times. People will learn to behave more carefully, never run across the street at a red light, buckle up in a car and not fly by small Russian airlines with an old fleet.
3) political stagnation. Everything is bad here, in not too democratic countries such as Iran, Russia and Venezuela, the rulers will hold on to power all their lives, realizing that in the event of a loss of power, they will await trial from their successors. This will definitely not contribute to the development of the country, countries with developed democratic institutions and working turnover of power will gain an advantage, autocratic regimes will become a thing of the past.
4) cultural stratification. Older people will watch movies and listen to music completely incomprehensible to young people. I like the singer Anastasia Vyaltseva, and I am sorry that young people are not interested in such songs, and she would have turned 150 next year - that's all! What would happen if my favorite artists were 3-4 times older, for example, 500-600 years old? I think that then the cultural code of different generations would be too different and they simply would not understand each other.
The answers are standard, in the style of "there will be stagnation, people will be sad, you will have to introduce restrictions." Fertility restrictions are not what you are. Restrictions on new privileges. Well, the average man does not like the idea of not only immortality, where there, even a significant extension of life.
The only unambiguous and major minus that will definitely be, is the sharply increased obedience of people to potential dictatorships. This is, you know, like the humility of a hungry man, something from this opera. The desire for heroism and the risk of political struggle will sharply decrease. Please note that in this case, power-hungry males will now be eternal. Stalin will not become decrepit and young Beria cannot outwit him. Crazy Lenin will be forever. He will continue to carry out the Red Terror forever and ever, simply because he is a sadistic assassin.
But this is not a reason to give up immortality, prolongation of life, scientific progress. Because I'm not an idiot or a moron. In the meantime, all these terrible cons will EXACTLY be. This is not the conservative rubbish from the other answers.
Great price. But it's worth it.
There is one more circumstance that is not taken into account here: If a woman will live long and be beautiful, will she agree to bear children? Or put it on the back burner until her reproductive age is over. It may not happen in the first generation, but it will.
I think the result of life extension may be a decrease in the number of humanity in the long run.
If life expectancy becomes 500-600 years, then human development will also stretch accordingly, 6-7 times, that is, childhood will be up to a hundred years, then a mature life of up to 400 years, and then a long, long old age. Many people will have the opportunity to achieve enlightenment, due to the huge amount of time to reflect on their lives.
Besides, there will be ten times more questions "what is the meaning of life". Their pathetic 60-80 years old do not understand what to do, where do they need 500? What will they do with them? A radical increase in life expectancy is pointless without a radical change in what to do with this life span.
There is no need to worry about this, there are no such people on Earth and will never be. This is something that does not apply to human activity, but a pro-regulation of Nature. Nature always regulates the process of the number of individuals in any population. Live and be glad that you live !!! Regards.
In addition to the fact that the rich will live longer, respectively, they will accumulate even more wealth and influence. It is possible that cults and communities of the long-living will arise, into which they will be accepted with a ceremony.
If you think that they will invent a tool and share it with the whole world, then you are wrong. Only the elite will receive it and this will create a huge threat to freedom and an obstacle to the renewal of society. After all, when someone holds his post for centuries with everyone else - smart, young, promising, who could take it, an internal breakdown occurs and the meaning of life is called into question.
I first thought about this when I read about the Struldbrugs (Gulliver Swift's travels), it turns out that if people live long (or forever), this is not at all the same as being forever young and healthy. I often come across the opinion that children born after 2000 have a great chance of living for more than 100 years
As one of the options: an increase in the population of our species, overpopulation of the planet, lack of resources + cataclysms, hostilities, the struggle for territory. As a result, it is likely that humanity will begin to self-destruct until the population reaches the optimal amount. And then everything is the same as it was already. People will live, but now the childbearing age will rise significantly. Everything will be the same, but slower. The stages of growing up will stretch over time. But it takes more than a dozen years to come to this.
4) cultural stratification. Older people will watch movies and listen to music completely incomprehensible to young people. I like the singer Anastasia Vyaltseva, and I am sorry that young people are not interested in such songs, and she would have turned 150 next year - that's all! What would happen if my favorite artists were 3-4 times older, for example, 500-600 years old? I think that then the cultural code of different generations would be too different and they often simply would not understand each other. Although, on the other hand, some conventional Pugacheva could perform for several hundred years and fall in love (and get bored too) by different generations. But, like politicians, she would not have allowed younger artists on the stage, a stagnation similar to political stagnation would have formed on the stage. It would be so in other areas, it would be more difficult for young people to make a career.
The number of people will begin to grow very quickly.
The government, in order to prevent overpopulation, will introduce a monopoly on increasing life expectancy and will allow it only "necessary and useful for society."
This will be followed by a strong stratification of society into the "elite of long-livers" and "citizens who are not satisfied with this."
In the first decades, a lot of people will appear who are tired of living. Who have tried everything that is interesting to them and much of that which is not interesting.
The most important thing is that will disappear if the lifespan greatly increases - this will lose the value of the lifespan itself , so they will become extremely dangerous entertainment will be popular.
There will be a sharp technological leap due to the increase in the life of scientists. New discoveries will allow starting active space exploration.