Red lentil cottage pie vegan-friendly recipe for a delicious and healthy classic comfort food dinner. It makes a lovely family hearty meal. It’s a perfect meal for those who want to enjoy the traditional flavours of cottage pie but with a plant-based protein. This dish is easy to make, making it ideal and super convenient for busy evenings. In this blog post, I’ll show you how to create this delicious dish step-by-step, and enjoy the goodness of lentils in a warm and filling meal!
Easy Red Lentil Cottage Pie: Vegan Comfort Food at its BestCourse: DinnerCuisine: British, FrenchDifficulty: Medium, Easy
1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 cups vegetable broth
4-5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tbsp vegan butter
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (such as almond or soy milk)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onion, carrots, and celery in a little bit of oil until softened
- Add the minced garlic and dried thyme, stirring until fragrant.
- Add the rinsed red lentils, tomato paste, and vegetable broth to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the mixture has thickened.
- While the lentils are cooking, boil the diced potatoes in a separate pot until they are soft enough to mash. Drain the potatoes and add vegan butter and non-dairy milk, mashing until smooth and creamy.
- In a baking dish, spread the cooked lentil mixture evenly at the bottom. Then, dollop the mashed potatoes on top and spread them out evenly. Use a fork to make some ridges on the surface of the potatoes, creating a nice texture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Using red lentils in place of meat makes this dish a more affordable and sustainable option for those looking to reduce their meat consumption.
- Red lentil cottage pie can be served with a side salad or some crusty bread for a complete meal.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge or freezer for easy meals later in the week.
As you can see, making red lentil cottage pie is a simple and straightforward process. By following this recipe, you’ll have a delicious and comforting meal in no time.
One of the great things about this dish is that it’s easy to customize to your liking. If you prefer different vegetables or herbs, feel free to swap them in. You can also adjust the seasoning to your taste by adding more or less salt and pepper.
If you’re looking to reduce your meat consumption, using red lentils in place of ground beef is a great alternative. Not only is it more affordable, but it’s also a more sustainable option. Plus, lentils are packed with nutrients, making them a great addition to any diet.
After making this recipe, you’ll have plenty of leftovers to enjoy throughout the week. Simply store them in the fridge or freezer for easy meals later on.
Overall, red lentil cottage pie is a delicious and comforting dish that’s perfect for any home cook looking for a satisfying meal. Give it a try and see for yourself how easy and delicious it can be!
What are some good toppings for red lentil cottage pie?
Red lentil cottage pie is a delicious and hearty meal that can be enjoyed by vegans and non-vegans alike. If you’re looking for some tasty and creative toppings to make your red lentil cottage pie even more delicious, take a look at these suggestions:
1. Mashed Sweet Potato: Sweet potato is a great complement to the earthy flavor of red lentils. Simply boil and mash sweet potato, then spread a generous layer over the top of your cottage pie.
2. Cheddar Cheese: If you’re not vegan, cheddar cheese is a classic topping for cottage pie. Grate some cheese and sprinkle it over the top of your pie before baking it in the oven.
3. Fresh Herbs: Adding fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme can elevate the flavor of your cottage pie. Finely chop some herbs and sprinkle them over the top of your pie before baking it.
4. Crispy Onions: For a bit of crunch, you can top your cottage pie with crispy fried onions. Simply fry thinly sliced onions in oil until they turn golden brown and crispy.
5. Sautéed Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a great addition to any savory dish, and they work particularly well with red lentil cottage pie. Sauté some mushrooms in butter or oil and spread them over the top of your pie.
These are just a few ideas for toppings to make your red lentil cottage pie even more delicious. Get creative and try out different.
How do I store cooked red lentil cottage pie?
If you have leftover red lentil cottage pie, you need to store it properly to keep it fresh and safe to eat. Here is how you can store cooked red lentil cottage pie:
1. Let it cool down: Before storing the cottage pie, let it cool down to room temperature. This will prevent condensation from building up in the storage container, which can make the pie soggy and unappetizing.
2. Cover the pie: Once the cottage pie has cooled down, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. You can also use a lid if the container you are using has one.
3. Refrigerate or freeze: Place the covered cottage pie in the refrigerator if you plan to eat it within the next few days. It will last for up to four days in the fridge. If you want to store it for longer, freeze it instead. The pie can be kept in the freezer for up to three months.
4. Reheat before serving: When you are ready to eat the cottage pie, reheat it in the oven or microwave until it is piping hot all the way through. Make sure to remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil before reheating.
By following these simple steps, you can store your red lentil cottage pie safely and enjoy it for days to come.