Looking for a hearty, healthy and not to forget EASY lentil bolognese recipe that won’t take up your entire evening? Look no further than this quick recipe! This vegan twist uses red lentils, but that doesn’t mean you can’t substitute for green lentils if you prefer. It is a classic Italian dish that is packed with protein and nutrients. Plus, it’s a great way to get your family to eat more vegetables without sacrificing flavour. Most of my children enjoy this meal, they find it tasty and filling! Read below, I’ll walk you through the simple steps I use to whip up this delicious lentil bolognese meal in under 30 minutes. Let’s get cooking!
Easy Lentil Bolognese RecipeCourse: Lunch, DinnerCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy, Medium
2 cups x 500g of dried lentils / or use can lentils for shorter time
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 onions – diced
2 cloves garlic – minced
2 cans chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 carrots – finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils according to package instructions.
- In a separate pan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the diced onion to the pan and sauté until the onion is nearly translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger to the pan and continue to sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, oregano, and basil to the pan and stir well over medium heat.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain the water carefully. Then add them to the pan with the tomato sauce and stir everything together. Make sure the pan is big enough, or switch to a larger pan to fit the lentils and stew together.
- Add salt and pepper, or desired seasoning to taste
- Let the lentil bolognese simmer for a few minutes until heated through and the flavours have melded together.
- Serve with your favourite pasta or grain and enjoy
What makes this recipe one of our favourite family meals?:
1. All you need is a handful of ingredients, which makes it easy to make! Plus we whip this up in 30 minutes or under for a tasty dinner or lunch.
2. Lentils are a great source of protein and fibre, making this dish a nutritious option.
3. You can serve easy lentil bolognese with pasta, rice, or even on top of a baked potato.
4. Lentils are an affordable ingredient, making this dish an excellent option for those on a budget.
5. You can add your favourite herbs and spices to this recipe to give it your own personal touch.
Easy Vegan Friendly Lentil Bolognaise
There you have it – an easy lentil bolognese that’s perfect for a quick and healthy weeknight dinner. Whether you’re a vegan, vegetarian or just looking to add more plant-based meals to your diet, this dish is sure to satisfy you and your family/friends. So next time you’re in a pinch for time but still want a delicious and nutritious meal, give easy lentil bolognese a try!
Why not check out more of our easy recipes for lentils? Let us know which recipes are your favourite.